Indications for aligners

Who is aligner suitable for? Are there like qualifications needed for having aligners? Is it suitable for everyone?

It is suitable for almost anyone who wants to improve their smile. It can help correct most alignment problems in teenager and adult teeth.

Both teenagers and adults can have aligners treatment. It would be best to have a complete check-up beforehand. Gum disease can affect the process of aligner treatment.

Even though I think most providers don’t require a complete check-up with x-rays done, I suggest you have those done first so you would know if you are really qualified to have aligners. It’s for your own safety.

If you have alignment or crowding problems, you are most likely qualified. Unless, your orthodontist or dentist tells you that it isn’t advisable for you.

From what I read somewhere (I can’t find the link, sorry), it is almost suitable for everyone. Unless you have bone disease on your jaw or gum disease, you aren’t qualified.

First, they need to check what type of orthodontic problem do you have. Is it overbite, underbite, open bite, crossbite, gapped teeth, or crowded teeth? The second thing they need to learn is your age. Aligners work for all ages from teens to adults. But very young teens whose teeth and jaws are still on the process of developing would maybe be advised to hold off their treatment until growth is completed. And lastly, your provider or dental professional will ask you how committed you are. Since aligners are removable, it can be removed anytime you want. Aligners are more effective when worn for 22 hours a day. You should be diligent about wearing your aligners in order for you to achieve the best results.

2 Likes

Aligners are indicated mostly for mild crowding of teeth. Whether you are a teenager or an adult doesn’t matter. Other problems with your bite like overbite, deep bite, or crossbite should be treated with Invisalign or braces.

Almost everyone is qualified :grinning:

As long as you still have teeth :rofl:

1 Like

You have a point, but it also depends on how many teeth are left :joy:

Do you know which providers require a complete check-up before getting the aligners? I’ve seen others that don’t require check-up and x-rays so I’m not sure if there are providers who ask for those.

It’s hard to know which providers require a check-up. Asking them directly will be better.

According to webmd.com, clear aligners are typically used for patients who have mild or moderately crowded teeth, or have minor spacing issues. Patients who have severe crowding or spacing problems – or severe underbites, overbites, or crossbites – may need more complex treatment.

If you go to registered clinics of orthodontists, I’m sure all of them would require a comprehensive check-up.

It’s safer this way.

I’m only sure that Invisalign gives a comprehensive check-up. I’m not so sure with other providers.

I thought teens have the ideal age to have aligners? I remember reading somewhere that they will get the most benefit since their jaws are still forming, it will be easier for the aligners to work. Correct me if I’m wrong.

1 Like

I’ve read something about this.

“Adolescence is considered the ideal time for braces because, during this window, the permanent teeth have all grown in but the head is still growing. This does not mean that adults are not candidates for braces. Many adults who did not have braces as teenagers or whose teeth shifted after their braces were removed may still improve their smiles with braces.”
-Braces for Children, Teens, & Adults Know the difference?

I guess it’s easier for teeth to move to their proper places because their bone is still developing.

That makes sense. The only problem is teenagers have lower pain tolerance so it will be hard for them to adjust to braces or aligners. imagine the pain of your teeth moving and you just starting puberty :grimacing: That’s not an ideal duo