Aligner cleaning

Hi all

I change my aligners every 2 weeks and can never get them 100% clean, especially by week 2.

Other than retainer brite tablets would you recommend anything else? I use my toothbrush and standard toothpaste too.

Many thanks,
Ed

1 Like

Hi Ed,

Welcome to the forums! :slight_smile:

I know what you mean. That second week, they can be quite stained sometimes.

You could try white vinegar diluted with water (around 50/50) and see how that goes. It can be quite effective but in my experience, you do need a bit of ‘agitation’ to get them properly clean. Even if you just go over them with your toothbrush after you’ve soaked them in the solution. If you’re using an electric toothbrush, I would actually recommend trying a soft manual, as sometimes the electric bristles aren’t long enough to reach right down into the aligner/retainer mould. Or they appear to be rotating but are actually just vibrating against the plastic (if that makes sense).

Have you tried Retainer Brite tablets already? There are a couple of other brands like Vitis and Fancymay. They’re a bit cheaper than RB, too.

Cheers!

Tim - Aligners team

I’ve been reading regarding the proper cleaning of aligners and most of them say using a soft-bristled toothbrush removes particles and dirt best. You should also toothpaste that doesn’t have abrasives. Toothpaste with abrasives can cause roughness on your aligners.

It’s important to brush and floss your teeth after every meal. That’s the only time you should place your aligners back in your mouth. Another tip is to never use hot water on your aligners because it could permanently warp your aligners.

I heard other people use an electric toothbrush to clean both their teeth and their aligners. However, I prefer using a toothbrush with soft bristles because it can go into tight contacts between teeth. It is also flexible enough to remove dirt or plaque that can be present on your aligners. Hard bristles might cause roughness if you brush with too much force.

You can clean them with a toothbrush and toothpaste and rinse them in lukewarm water. Never use hot water on your aligners. Make sure to clean your teeth thoroughly before putting your aligners back in.

Hey there. I wouldn’t use standard toothpaste if I were you. It’s best to use what was recommended to you by your provider.

Brushing the aligners with a soft-bristled toothbrush can help remove plaque. Even when you are out of your home, it is important to properly take care of your aligners. Soak them every day. Soak them in either a denture cleaner or the recommended aligner cleaner by your provider. After soaking, use a toothbrush that you don’t use for your teeth to brush off any lingering plaque or food particles and then rinse the aligners before placing them back in your mouth.

It’s easier to clean your aligners if you soak them every day with the solutions like denture cleaner. After soaking, the dirt or plaque will be easier to brush off.

A gentle hand soap and a soft bristled toothbrush may do if you don’t have a denture cleaner available at home or near you.

I also bring a traveler toothbrush so I can brush my teeth and aligners when I am not at home. I always have 2 sets of brush. One for home use, and one for outside use.

They have retainer cleaning tablets sold on Amazon and Target.

Oh, good to know. Thanks! :+1:

1 Like

I also buy mine on Amazon. It works great.

I didn’t think it will be available on Amazon. thank you for the tip!

1 Like

Can electric toothbrush be used to clean aligners too?

You can use either an electric toothbrush or a soft-bristled brush. Some forums that I’ve read into states that you can get a better cleaning with an electric brush.

Oh really? I didn’t know that. I was thinking it’s better if you use manual toothbrush because you can control the force that you use to clean your aligners.

I thought so too. Do you have an idea what brand is the best brush to use? May it be manual toothbrush or electric toothbrush

I only see the Oral-B brand of electric toothbrush. I haven’t tried it yet, though.